'At the creek of Baginbun, Ireland was lost and won.'
In the year of our Lord 1170 a small number of Anglo-Norman Knights landed at Baginbun Head, at the request of Irishman Diarmait Mac Murchadha, the recently-demoted King of Leinster by then High King of Ireland, Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair, and so began a particularly brutal English conquest of Ireland for the next seven hundred years.
The initial Norman landing of 150 men was led by Raymond le Gras who built temporary rampart and ditch fortifications that are still visible today. They stole cattle from nearby lands and, when 3,000 Norse-Irish warriors arrived from the City of Waterford, the 150 Anglo-Normans Knights, battle-hardened through years of warfare and superior fighting and tactical skills, achieved victory against the Norse-Irish. The City of Waterford fell shortly thereafter and floodgates opened for the Tudor English conquests that followed.
The placename 'Baginbun' comes from two initial Anglo-Norman boats that landed here in 1170AD by Raymond Le Gras called 'La Bague’ and ‘La Bonne'.